Skip to content

Vets providing services in the EU

EU Directive 2005/36/EC

The EU Directive 2005/36/EC is in place to allow a European Union rights entitled veterinary surgeon who is lawfully established and registered in another EU member state to provide services on a temporary and occasional basis in another member state.

This service enables registered veterinary surgeons to occasionally cross borders to practise for short periods.

For more information refer to the EU Directive 2005/36/EC.

Please note that registering under the EU Directive 2005/36/EC is subject to certain conditions, as outlined below.

Provision of Services in EU member states (outside the UK)

If you are registered as a UK-practising member with the RCVS and you are a European Union rights entitled person who wants to provide services in EU member states (outside the UK), you will need to ask the RCVS to provide you with a Provision of Services Certificate confirming your current status and good standing.

To request a Provision of Services Certificate, please complete and submit the 'Provision of Services Form - Other EU member states' (see the 'Related documents' box). Please note there is a small fee for the issue of each Provision of Services Certificate. We regret that we are unable to accept payment by credit card.

You are asked to submit the completed declaration form and payment 14 working days before the date you wish to register with your new veterinary association, or as soon as possible.

You will be issued with a copy of your Provision of Services Certificate together with confirmation that it has been sent within ten working days of the RCVS receiving your form and correct payment.

For more information about Provision of Services, please contact a member of the Registration Department on 020 7202 0707 or by emailing

If you are a visiting EU veterinary surgeon, please read our guidance on Provision of Services in the UK