- Professional Development Record
- CPD Champions blog
- CPD 2020 policy changes
- 1CPD recording platform
- Resources to help you use 1CPD
- Overview of practice standards
- About the Practice Standards Scheme
- How do I apply for accreditation for my practice?
- What happens during an assessment?
- About Stanley, our support system for the PSS
- How do I update my accredited-practice information?
- How can I promote my RCVS accreditation?
- Additional resources
- Contact the Advice Team
- Code of Professional Conduct for veterinary Surgeons
- Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Nurses
- Code of Professional Conduct app
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Veterinary Nurse Rules
- Advice on Schedule 3
- I want to raise a concern about a veterinary surgeon
- I want to raise a concern about a registered veterinary nurse
- Confidential Reporting Line
The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (“RCVS”) takes your privacy seriously.
We may update this policy from time to time and will indicate on the website when changes have been made.
2 The Information we collect
Information is collected from you when you contribute to or use some of the features on the site. The information we collect is clearly set out on the web page on which we collect it. See for example a copy of a RCVS publication order form.
3 Why we collect it
We may collect information about you so that we can assist your use of the site and improve the site generally. We may also collect data if you take part in a consultation, subscribe to e-News, change your Register or FindAVet entry, enrol for a modular certificate, pay an RCVS Knowledge Library invoice or pay for Library membership, complete our feedback form or enquiry form, among others.
4 How we will use or process information about you
4.1 We may use the information you provide for the following purposes:
- to process your enquiry or application,
- to compile statistics,
- to send you our regular e-newsletter, RCVS e-News,
- to supply information to government departments, professional, education and training bodies so they can compile statistics
- to retain details of your application on our files
4.2 If you are a registered veterinary surgeon or a registered veterinary nurse, we may also use your data to:
- update the Registers,
- administer and maintain your registration,
- process complaints,
- compile statistics,
- keep you updated (via telephone, post or digital communication, for example, email or text message) with information about the RCVS including guidance, news, activities and election material
4.3 If you use the website to submit information to the Register or to the Directory of Veterinary Practices or to the Register of Veterinary Nurses, it will be held or processed by us only in accordance with the statutory or agreed terms for holding such data. If we do pass on any of your personal data, we will make sure that third parties:
- are only provided with the information they need,
- agree not to use the information received from us for any other purpose than those specified by us,
- have the proper systems in place to protect personal data.
4.4 In certain circumstances we may need to disclose information about you without consent, for example, if required to do so by law or by any competent authority in this country or overseas.
We invite feedback from you about the site and, from time to time, we may use the site to carry out electronic consultation exercises. If you send comments to us via the site we will collect your comments and your contact details for the purpose of the consultation concerned.
6 Data Protection
RCVS is registered with the Information Commissioner in the UK as a “data controller” in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. Further details of the registration are available at http://ico.org.uk/.
7 Accessing and updating your personal information
You may request a copy of personal information we have about you (whether collected through this website or otherwise). If it is incorrect we will correct it as soon as we receive appropriate notice or evidence from you in writing. In accordance with section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 requests should be made in writing and we may make a charge of no more than £10 for each request. Instructions about how to do this are available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
8 Automated decisions
Parts of https://www.rcvs.org.uk/ and our billing process (which is transacted via Sage Pay) are automatic and we may process your personal data as part of https://www.rcvs.org.uk/ and the billing process.
Keeping information about you secure is very important to us and certain sections of the site may encrypt data using SSL or a comparable standard. Card payment information is handled by Sage Pay and is not stored on the RCVS website. However, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. As a result, whilst we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information which you send to us, and you do so at your own risk.
11 Users under 16
If you are aged under 16, please ensure you obtain your parent/guardian's consent before sending any personal information to this website. Please note that the RCVS will not accept orders for goods from persons aged under 16 years.
The information on this page was last updated on Friday, 6 January 2017.