Skip to content

Student VNs - FAQs

Use the links below to navigate through our current and most frequently asked questions: 

Can I take a break from training?

Yes, but your college will need to send us a signed VN Student Change of Details form (see 'Related documents' box) along with a covering letter explaining when you are taking a break. You will no longer be classed as an active student, so when you return to training, your college will need to inform the RCVS when you return to training so that your student status can be re-activated. Your enrolment period will remain the same.

Back to top

My enrolment period has lapsed and I would like to extend it, what do I do?

You will need to send a request to extend your enrolment period in a letter to Veterinary Nursing department, along with a letter of support from your college and the principal of your training practice (if applicable). Requests are looked at on a case by case basis. The current one-year extension fee (2017) is £80. 

Back to top

I am having trouble using the online recording tool (NPL or CSL)

Please get in touch with your college who should be able to help you. If they cannot assist then they will get in touch with us or the awarding organisation on your behalf to resolve the issue. 

Back to top

I have moved house, how do I let the RCVS know?

You can email, fax or write to us to change your personal details, but we cannot change details over the telephone. Please email with your new details and name and enrolment number to inform us of a change of address.

Back to top

I have moved to another training practice, what do I need to do?

When you begin your veterinary nurse training, you are registered by the RCVS at an Approved Centre. If you change employment and move to another practice, it is very important that both the receiving Centre and the RCVS are informed of the change immediately, using the VN Student Change of Details form.

Please ensure that you get this form signed by both your Practice Principal and Head of Centre. You should then either post it to the RCVS or scan and email the form to Failure to notify the RCVS of changes to your employment and/or approved centre may jeopardise your VN training.

Back to top

How do I change my name?

You will need to send us a photocopy of the relevant official documentation (i.e. marriage certificate or deed poll) in order to change your name with the RCVS. This can be sent by post, fax or email using the contact details below. Please do not send original documents, as these may become lost in the post.

If you have changed your name by deed poll, you must supply the official document, which has been signed by a solicitor. If your deed poll certificate has not been signed by a solicitor, we can accept the certificate as long as you are also able to provide a copy of your valid passport in your new name (the same name as stated on your deed poll certificate).

Back to top

I have completed my training and passed all my exams and assessments.  What do I do next?

If you are on a vocational programme (Level 3 Diploma) your college will apply to your Awarding Organisation for your final certification. The Awarding Organisations send us a list of all students who have completed the Diploma, usually once a month. We will then send you an application to register as a veterinary nurse. In the meantime, you will remain on the student database, provided you are still working in your approved training practice. You need to be sure that your address details are up to date so that your registration pack is sent to the correct address. The Registration Guidance for VN students completing the Level 3 Diploma sets out the procedure in more detail.

If you are a higher education (degree) student, your university will make arrangements to send us the pass list. We will supply registration application forms to your university and the arrangements will be made with the university. Usually and we will supply registration application packs to the university to hand to the students.  

How do I get in touch with you?

Contact us at:

Veterinary Nursing Department
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Belgravia House
62-64 Horseferry Road

T 020 7202 0788

Back to top